psychobilly, punkabilly (1978)

Erik Hoover grinchy at GRINCHY.COM
Tue Oct 4 13:49:18 UTC 2005

Psychobilly, as a word if not a genre, is at least as old as the Johnny
Cash hit "One Piece at a Time" (1976).

Erik

On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
> Subject:      psychobilly, punkabilly (1978)
> --------
>
> psychobilly (not in OED)
>
> 1978 _NME_ 10 June (backpages.com) In fact, The Cramps, like The
> Ramones,
> have moulded for themselves a high maverick style, and are busy
> exploring
> the possibilities of that style. As I later discovered, its given name
> is
> psychotic punkabilly, or psychobilly for short.
> <http://backpages.com/article.html?ArticleID=915>
>
> punkabilly (not in OED)
>
> 1978 _Creem_ Feb. (backpages.com) He's a sensitive punkabilly,
> continually
> getting dumped on by girls.
> <http://backpages.com/article.html?ArticleID=6103>
>
> 1979 _Los Angeles Times_ 24 June (Calendar) 95/4 New York punkabilly
> voodoo band The Cramps which wowed L.A. audiences at the Troubador last
> Spring is in England recording its debut LP for IRS Records.
>
> 1979 _Los Angeles Times_ 17 Oct. IV15/1 Unlike so many rockabilly units
> that try faithfully to replay the original music, the Cramps update
> rockabilly -- injecting starkness and melodrama so that it becomes a
> sort
> of punkabilly.
>

> --Ben Zimmer

-------------
Important:
This email message and any attached files contain information intended
for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed
and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged,
confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying,
disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to legal
restriction or sanction. Please notify the sender, by email or
telephone,
of any unintended recipients and delete the original message without
making any copies.