Sum: Origin of Pot 'Cannabis'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 5 01:09:59 UTC 2005

FWIW, in comic books of the '40's, pot was referred to as "hemp."
Characters were drawn freaking at the sight of it: "Hemp! It... It's -
choke! gasp! - hemp!" The hemp was usually drawn in the form of a
bushy potted plant about three feet tall. Very confusing, since, in
those days, everyone knew that "hemp" was just the stuff that hempen
rope was made of.

-Wilson

--
-Wilson Gray