Chinese "kanji"

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Oct 6 00:14:37 UTC 2005

The Mandarin Chinese word for the Chinese characters is Hanzi (first
syllable [xan], second syllable syllabic [dz], falling tone on each
syllable).  Kanji is a Japanese word, denoting the Japanese orthography
that's closest to Chinese characters.  I guess I can see some logic to
applying it to the Chinese characters that kanji was derived from, even
though it's a kind of backwards logic.  If "kanji" is becoming the general
American term for Chinese characters, it's a trend I've missed completely.

Peter Mc.

--On Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:21 PM -0400 Gadi Niram