"jazz mags" euphemism?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 11 12:32:09 UTC 2005

To me,"jazz mag" sounds very old-fashioned. From 1954 to 1956 in St.
Louis, I worked with a European-American man then in his sixties. In
his normal speech, he always used the term "jazz" as a euphemism for
"fuck" in its literal meaning. E.g., he told me about an
African-American student at Washington University who had gotten into
trouble when it was discovered that he was "jazzing" European-American
coeds. OTOH, he said "Fuck it!" as would anyone else and not "Jazz
it!"

By this time, I was already quite familiar with the claim that "jazz"
originally meant "engage in sexual intercourse" and I considered my
elderly colleague's use of it in that meaning to support that claim.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray