umpire "mechanic(s)"

Thu Oct 13 16:43:04 UTC 2005

>From the transcript of the press conference with the umpiring crew after
last night's controversial Game 2 of baseball's American League
Championship Series...

-----
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2189724

Q: Doug, the replay seemed to clearly show you called swing and then out.
What was your interpretation?

Doug Eddings: My interpretation is that's my strike 3 mechanic, when it's
a swinging strike. If you watch, that's what I do the whole entire game.
If you watch the replay, you do watch me -- as I'm making the mechanic,
I'm watching Josh Paul, so I'm seeing what he's going to do.
-----

This would seem to fall under OED3's def. B6 of "mechanic" ("a device,
method, means"). But in umpiring lingo, "mechanic" has a more specific
sense of "a physical and/or verbal signal when making a call".

-----
http://www.americanfederationofumpires.com/ibua_clinic.html
The instructors stressed timing, clarity, and the power of each mechanic
to help 'sell' the call.
-----
http://www.americanfederationofumpires.com/ibua_clinic2.html
Many good tips for me here, including seeing the ball better and solid
improvements in my called strike three mechanic.
-----
http://www.amateurumpire.com/eoua/plate_evaluation.htm
A vocal mechanic is required on every called strike.  It should be "Strike
One" "Strike Two!" or "Strike Three!!" with a growing emphasis.
-----
http://www.amateurumpire.com/mech/mech17.htm
The problem is few umpires use a consistent mechanic for this appeal, and
their inconsistency leads to potentially embarrassing situations on the
diamond.
-----
http://www.arizonaumpiringacademy.com/training_tips/Safe_Out_Signal/Safe_Out_Signal.html
The umpire's verbal mechanic should be at the same time the umpire is
giving the safe signal..."SAFE!"
-----

--Ben Zimmer