For some, "Christian" (adj.) no longer includes Lutherans

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Fri Oct 14 04:19:08 UTC 2005

Date:    Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:26:59 -0400
From:    Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

 >>Here in North Central Arkansas, Christian is code for, born again,
 >>evangel. bible inerrency,   But not nessasarily republican.

Is this code, or does it stem from a belief that nobody else is
really a Christian (whatever they may profess)?  (This isn't a
rhetorical question--I'm a stranger in these parts.)

This is from memory, and I'll need to check it, but:  I believe that in
_Blackberry Winter_, Margaret Mead says that she wasn't allowed to join
the YWCA at her college because she was Episcopalian.  And that the only
other female student not allowed to join was a Lutheran.  Neither was
considered a Christian.

Tangent:  Regrettably, I didn't save a Usenet post in which someone
expressed the desire to live in a Canada which included only "real
Canadians."  That is, with Ontario and Quebec excluded.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.