attibution of a quote/exchange

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 16 01:56:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Sam Clements wrote:

> If you search Proquest for "look almost like a man" you get a 1951 column by
> John Crosby who says the same thing and attributes it and other quotes to
> the book(although which quotes are in the book are a bit hard to decipher).

I looked in the 1951 book "The Vicious Circle" and the Coward-Ferber
exchange is indeed in there.  Thanks for pointing this out.

> My question still remains, if you read that short thread over at the SDMB,
> who's telling the truth?  Is it Woollcott or Coward?

I don't think this is resolvable, since we're comparing two theories
both presumably based on long-after recollections, but what is the
evidence for the Woollcott theory?

Fred Shapiro