Christianities; "spiritual not religious"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Oct 17 07:56:19 UTC 2005

Quoting Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Christianities; "spiritual not religious"
>
>> Perhaps related to the differing uses of "Christianity" noted here is the
>> collocation (noted in the archives 2-3 March 1998) "spiritual but not
>> religious," a self-description declared by diverse students in Intro. to
>> Religion classes that I've taught (using either a History of Religions or a
>> Phenomenological approach).
>>
> This description would be advocated by our local Unitarian minister,
> but I think it extends as well to a lot of non-aligned folks,
> including Wiccans and such.
>
> Larry

Sure, use of "spiritual but not religious" is not limited to Christians. I was
suggesting comparing two cases where speakers seek to distance themselves from
religion. The conversation might get more interesting if you ask them
to define
"religion."
Stephen