The changes just keep on coming.

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Oct 20 17:24:08 UTC 2005

On the topic of observed language evolution, though a totally different
example:

There are a number of Indian-derived place names around the Northwest that
are (or were, in the good old days when people spoke correctly) pronounced
with a final -aw.  The only examples that come to mind at the moment are
Yakima, Washington, and the Umpqua River in Oregon, but there are others.
I first noticed, to my annoyance, that transplants who had moved here to
become local TV newscasters were pronouncing these names with a
zero-stressed schwa on the end instead of the "correct" secondary-stressed
-aw.

I happened to think of this during a college trip with two colleagues of
about my age and some students, and asked them how they pronounced the name
of that city in Washington.  My contemporaries (both long-ago transplants)
shared my -aw pronunciation, but the students (all of traditional student
age, all from the Northwest) uniformly said "Yakimah" (same stress
pattern).  So we seem to have a progression here, and no doubt the "dang
furriner" TV newscasters will win out in the end.

Peter Mc.

--On Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:50 PM -0400 Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>