story arc

Fri Oct 21 13:24:28 UTC 2005

There's been a discussion recently on another list of the term "story arc",
referring to a plot or storyline that runs through several episodes of a
(tv) series, often interwoven in each episode with other plotlines in such a
way that no episode or set of episodes has just one story, and many of these
stories run through (distinct sets of) multiple episodes.

I've got a citation from 1983 (below, from the NY Times online archive). I
don't see it in the ADS-L archives, either generation.

OED Online has "arc" in a clearly related sense, referring to the dramatic
or narrative course of an entire work, s.v. "arc" under DRAFT ADDITIONS
MARCH 2003:
  - "dramatic arc"
    - 1962 w.r.t. Brecht
    - 1986 fiction author Stephen Dixon
  - "arc of story" 1978 Dickens

but

  - "story arc" not till 2001, tv series "First Wave" on the SciFi Channel,
and in the earlier sense referring to the whole series

and

  - "arc" by itself 1995 ("X-Files"?) is the only citation with the
'multi-episode plot' sense

Can anyone push it further back?

-- Mark A. Mandel