Still lame ...

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 23 07:52:59 UTC 2005

When my children were growing up, they and their friends called the 'cheap' tennis shoes 'butter cookies.' Perhaps 'buddies' is a shortened form?

"Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

In my elementary school days, before Nike became dominant in tennis shoes (pronounced "tennyshoes"), Converse All-Stars ("Limousines for the Feet!") were the best shoes that you could have on the school playground. Then Keds Red Dots. If you couldn't afford good tennies, you had to wear "buddies", which was any cheap tennyshoes. There was even a song about buddies, set to the tune of Col. Bogey's March:

Buddies
Make your feet feel fine
Buddies
Cost a dollar forty nine