Bert Kelly's I Invented Jazz

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Sep 1 01:38:59 UTC 2005

   Such a manuscript would be extremely interesting and valuable.  George, if you can somehow get ahold of it, that would be great. .

   Meanwhile, as is well known, Bert Kelly already staked out his claim to bringing the term "jazz" from San Francisco to Chicago in a letter he sent to _Variety_, Oct. 2, 1957, p. 64/1-2.

   Btw, we must be cautious about saying that Hickman was the first to apply the word "jazz" to music.  The transfer very possibly occurred in connection with his band, but in an interview (S.F. Examiner, Oct. 12, 1919, p. W16/4) Hickman made clear that he did not like the use of the word "jazz" in relation to music.

Gerald Cohen

        Original message from  George Thompson, Aug. 31, 2005: