FW: washingon post reporter w/ question

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Sep 1 02:52:30 UTC 2005

Request from a Washington Post reporter who is looking for someone who can
speak to the reclaiming and melioration of slurs by minority groups.

If you can and want to contribute, please contact him directly at the email
or phone number below. His deadline is next Friday.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Booth [mailto:boothb at washpost.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:10 PM
To: dave at wordorigins.org
Subject: washingon post reporter w/ question

greetings!  love the site. very informative.

my name is william booth and i'm a reporter for the washington post.

i'm doing a piece on the word "beaner" which is being used now quite freely
on the Comedy Central channel by Carlos Mencia.

i was wondering if you might have any ideas about academics/ linguists /
yourself? to discuss how and when "slurs" are laundered into "slang."

if you get my point.

perhaps we can chat?

I'm 310-277-4819 at the office or can call you.

thanks!