DC-area teen slang (1957)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 1 22:00:15 UTC 2005

"Hep" was just becoming unhip in DC in 1957?! "Take it easy, greasy!
There's a fungus among us!" was a common funny saying of no particular
meaning among black kids in St. Louis ca.1952. "Fruit boots," not
"boats," were what were "kicky" among white kids post 1950. The use of
"neat" instead of either "cool" or "hip" separated white kids from
black kids, though "Neat guy!" also used only by whites, was always
used sarcastically. (The high school that I attended never had more
than seven black boys among a student body of about 800 white boys in
the four years - 1950-1954 - that I was there. Hence, I became
familiar with both white slang and black slang.)

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray