Terror Dome; Dallas Morning News (1885-present?)

Mon Sep 5 20:11:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:44:41 EDT, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>TERROR DOME--I've seen "terror dome" applied to the New Orleans
>Superdome. "Welcome to the Terror Dome" was a song by Public Enemy.

I believe Chuck D of Public Enemy based "Terrordome" -- either as an
eggcorn or as a conscious pun -- on the "Terrordrome" of GI Joe comics.
See:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Terrordrome

The "-dome" was probably influenced by the 1985 movie "Mad Max Beyond
Thunderdome".

--Ben Zimmer