Garbo/Gilbert = Gilbo Garbage

Tue Sep 6 05:22:51 UTC 2005

>From _Entertainment Weekly_, Sep. 9, 2005, p. 132, in a review of the DVD
anthology _Garbo: The Signature Collection_...

-----
An insightful new 88-minute doc (co-produced with Turner Classic Movies)
reveals that before Bennifer and TomKat there was "Gilbo Garbage" -- the
media's moniker for Garbo and her frequent costar and jilted fiance,
silent-era heartthrob John Gilbert.
-----

Interesting if true... but I can't find any contemporaneous references to
"Gilbo Garbage" in the usual databases. Here's the only other mention I
could find:

-----
_The Record_ (Northern NJ), Feb. 11, 1996, p. E1 (Factiva)
When John Gilbert and Greta Garbo became the Sean Penn and Madonna of the
late Twenties, the country became so obsessed with their stormy on- and
off-screen romance that disgruntled moviegoers began calling their films
"Gilbo-Garbage."
-----

--Ben Zimmer