refugee, IDP, evacuee

Wed Sep 7 07:08:59 UTC 2005

Now Bush has joined the "refugee"-avoiders...

-----
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/12572851.htm

Posted on Tue, Sep. 06, 2005

Bush joins those opposed to word "refugees"

Associated Press

WHITE HOUSE - In the debate about how to describe those displaced by
Hurricane Katrina, President Bush is joining those who don't like the word
"refugees."

The president tells reporters, "The people we're talking about are not
refugees, they are Americans."

And he adds, "They need the help and love and compassion of our fellow
citizens."

Bush spoke during a meeting with leaders of charity and volunteer groups
who are helping Katrina's victims.

His words appear to put him on the same side as the Reverend Jesse
Jackson, who has declared it's "racist" to call U.S. citizens refugees.

Jackson and other black leaders say the word has a criminal connotation --
and prefer the more neutral term "evacuees."
-----

--Ben Zimmer