refugee, IDP, evacuee

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 7 22:08:07 UTC 2005

It would be even more revolting to yours truly if the entire chain if events were instigated by the comments of that bare handful of refugees (out of hundreds of thousands who may not object).

And that would imply, though not quite entail, that the politicians involved saw a chance to get some air time and went for it, devil take the hindmost.  Now they look like "leaders," as the sheep line up to follow.

Sorry, now that I think of it, "devil" may be a naughty word.  I don't mean to imply anyone involved is a servant of you-know-who (the name might be even more offensive), or is personally a supernatural power of evil. I apologize too for "hindmost," which as everybody will agree must simply be another word for "ass," which, however, appears not to be offensive anymore.

Off-topic, thank God :  A few months ago a talking head informed us from the screen that to determine (roughly) the relative popularity of a TV show, you should count the occurrences of the word "ass" in an average episode.  The more successful the series, the higher the "ass" count.  That's entertainment !

As always : we report, you deride.

JL

Harrold Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Harrold Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: refugee, IDP, evacuee

FWIW, as the listserv's token black, uh, Negro, uh, colored person, uh,
person of color, African-American, or whatever other lame-assed term is
currently in use, I personally do not find any of these terms
objectionable in any way whatsoever, with the sole exception of
"insurgent," which I find appallingly insulting and racist, implying,
as it does, that the black population of New Orleans is, for no reason
whatsoever, in armed rebellion against the government of the United
States, which is only trying to help.

-Wilson Gray