humor (was Re: SPUD acroetymythology (1927))

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Sep 8 15:36:05 UTC 2005

Such incidents are not unknown to ADS-L, either.  After a couple of
experiences of my own, I usually remember to add ":)" when I'm TRYING TO BE
FUNNY DAMMIT, no matter how obvious the irony seems to me, and even though
I see it as the e-mail equivalent of the elbow jab to the ribs of the
listener to indicate a joke.  Apparently we depend more than we realize on
tone of voice, facial expression and body language to convey and comprehend
irony.

Peter

--On Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:43 AM -0700 "Arnold M. Zwicky"