Nonsexual lickety-split

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Thu Sep 8 17:18:09 UTC 2005

Uncommon, maybe; jocular, certainly.

Nathan Zuckermann, the protagonist of Philip Roth's 'The Anatomy Lesson',
pretends he is the publisher of a pornographic magazine titled 'Lickety
Split' [though with that title one would expect the cited cover to feature
cunnilingus]:

"I can tell people a thousand times that I'm a serious person, but it's hard
for them to take at face value when the prosecution holds up 'Lickety Split'
and on the cover is a white girl sucking a big black cock and simultaneously
fucking broom."
- Philip Roth, 'the Anatomy lesson', Jonathan Cape, London, 1984

A variant spelling occurs in another 1980s novel:

'She grasped his penis. he gripped her swelling backside. he forgot her
past, forgot deviousness, and said, "You mentioned something about
pickle-sucking." -- "So I did. You didn't mention anything about
lickity-splitting."'
- Herbert Kastle, 'Dirty Movies', Granada, London, 1980, 211

--Neil Crawford

on 9/8/05 5:53 PM, Jonathan Lighter at wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Nonsexual lickety-split

--> -

> As an actual lexical item, sexual "lickety-split" is uncommon and, I'd wager,
> almost entirely jocular. But it is obvious that a great many people
> (particularly of the young male variety) find the word itself hilarious
> because it can be "interpreted" as sexual.
>
> Earlier I mentioned Beavis and Butthead types in this regard.  The "Beavis and
> Butthead" phenomenon has not been studied by linguists, as far as I know.
> Example:
>
> 1.   _Maiden Aunt_ (oh, all right, _*Spinster* Aunt_) :  And he was gone,
> lickety-split !
>
> _B or B_ : Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh.  She said :  "Lickety-split."
>
> The "B & B phenomenon" thus refers to the amused identification, aloud or
> silently, of unintended scatology in the words of others.
>
> Here are two more exx. :
>
> 2.  _Ph.D_ :  Cortes was far less interested in establishing Spanish dominion
> over Mexico than he was in acquiring gold and booty from the Aztecs.
>
> _Large Lecture Hall of Undergraduates_ [_think_ ] :   Huh huh huh huh huh huh
> huh huh. He said: "Booty."
>
> 3.  _Philosopher_ :  Politics makes strange bed fellows.
>
> _Foolosopher_ : Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh.  You said : "Bed Fellows."
>

> JL
>

> David Bowie <db.list at PMPKN.NET> wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: David Bowie
> Subject: Nonsexual lickety-split

--> -