Kanye West on race and slang

Mon Sep 12 05:05:43 UTC 2005

-----
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/west%20reveals%20racial%20lines%20in%20slang%20use

WEST REVEALS RACIAL LINES IN SLANG USE

Hip-hop star KANYE WEST is advising his white counterparts that they can
only use certain slang terms when they're out of style for black people.

The JESUS WALKS rapper - who recently charged that US President GEORGE W
BUSH "doesn't care" about African Americans - believes that certain slang
words should only be able to cross racial barriers when they're no longer
in style for black people.

He says, "I think white people are allowed to say 'bling'. They are
allowed to say old-school black slang, like 'hottie' and 'homie'.

"Actually, I do not think that (white people) are allowed to use slang
until it is at least a year old. If you say a slang word too early, it's
like you're trying to be black. So as long as the slang is a little played
out, you're all good."
-----

--Ben Zimmer