stack

Mon Sep 12 15:59:43 UTC 2005

And it's a verb, too . . .

"Lack of Rigor" by Craig Covault, _Aviation Week & Space Technology_,
Aug 22/29, 2005, p. 26 col 2.
"Atlantis will be destacked in the Vehicle Assembly Building here and
its external tank shipped by barge back to its Michoud, La., plant along
with a separate barge shipment carring another tank not yet stacked."

________________________________

        From: Mullins, Bill
        Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 1:15 AM
        To: Malcolm Farmer; 'ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU'; oed3 at oup.com;
jester at PANIX.COM
        Subject: stack

        Stack (n)  -- an assembly of missile/rocket stages into a full
space flight vehicle

        The above defintion is a specific sense of "stack" that I think
exists, but have never seen in a dictionary (and that may be just
because I haven't looked in enough dictionaries . . . but it's not in
the OED).

        Some cites:
        Test Firing of Shuttle Booster Put Off at Least Until Sunday by
Kathy Sawyer The Washington Post; Aug 29, 1987; pg. A2, col 6.

        "For the test, the booster is hooked to ground equipment that
serves as a stand-in for the shuttle "stack" to which the booster
normally would be linked."