A presidential eggcorn

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Tue Sep 13 19:30:32 UTC 2005

Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> [snip]
>
>Whoops! I see I completely missed Chris Waigl's valuable discussion of the
>"airways" eggcorn (predating Chris's creation of the Eggcorn Database):
>
>http://serendipity.lascribe.net/?p=22

Better URL:
<http://serendipity.lascribe.net/ling-lang/2004/07/eggcorns-in-the-air/>

This was my very first eggcorn. The simple reason why it wasn't in the
database is that I know where to find my blog entry. None of those I
found before creating the Eggcorn database is in there yet.

I'm a bit intrigued by the OED cites by radio/broadcasting professionals
(from the 30s and 40s). Are there any later ones?

It hadn't occurred to me (or to Mark Liberman, back last year) that
"airways" in the broadcasting sense could be anything but an eggcorn. On
the other hand, the metaphor of information/words traveling through a
conduit makes sense.

Chris Waigl