Irish breakfast

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Wed Sep 14 10:17:20 UTC 2005

We Brits, when holidaying [vacationing] in the UK, staying at hotels or B&Bs
[Bed & Breakfast establishments], often take the opportunity - not having to
cook it ourselves - of partaking of the 'Full English': sausage, egg, bacon,
mushrooms, grilled tomato, fried slice [of bread] and - if you're lucky -
some local black pudding.

So I was interested to see that our 'English' breakfast translates into
'Irish' breakfast across the pond:

"You know what they've got here? You can get an Irish breakfast all day
long."
"What's that, a cigarette and a six-pack?"
"Very funny. You must know what an Irish breakfast is, a sophisticated guy
like yourself."
I nodded. "It's the cardiac special, right? Bacon and eggs and sausage."
"And grilled tomato."
"Ah, health food."
"And black pudding," he said, "which is hard to find. You know what you
want? Because I'll have the Irish breakfast."
-- Lawrence Block, 'All the Flowers are Dying', Orion, London, 2005, 2

Neil Crawford