Brooklynese in N.O.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 14 19:24:41 UTC 2005

"Y'awl. It's pure Brooklynese. Reported dying out in New York City."

Noted.

BTW, my N.O. friend does say "y'all" and not "yiz" or "youse."

JL

Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
Subject: Re: Brooklynese in N.O.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:56:58 -0700, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>Has anybody traced the origin of the "middle-school teacher" legend ?
>"Middle school" itself is a middle 20th C. concept, right ?

Here's one data point (with transplanted workers instead of teachers):

-----
"Brooklynese, Y'awl", Washington Post, Oct 13, 1974, p. G12
Dis, dat, mudda, fadda, woik, and y'awl. It's pure Brooklynese, reported
dying out in New York City but flourishing in a New Orleans melting pot
called the Irish Channel. ...
No one seems to know when they began mangling vowels and slashing
consonants in the finest Brooklyn tradition.
"Some say a boatload of workers came down from New York before the turn of
the century and stayed, but that's just a theory," says Dr. George
Reinecke, a professor of English at the University of New Orleans.
-----

--Ben Zimmer