Early "hot dog" cite

Wed Sep 14 20:23:24 UTC 2005

I didn't find this in the archives; forgive me if it is a repeat.

CAPE ANN'S STRAND.
Boston Daily Globe; Aug 23, 1896; pg. 22 col 2.
"A large bulldog was found inside the big shark recently captured in the
Magnolia trap. Ordinarily the bulldog is averse to salt water bathing,
but it is assumed that during the recent heated term he ventured out
from the shore in order to cool off, when along came the shark in search
of a quick lunch.  Espying the "hot dog" he said to himself, "That's
just my sausage," so he mustered up courage, gave a roll on the side in
shark fashion and swallowed the poor canine bark and all.  At least,
this is the explanation that was recently overheard as to how the "purp"
came inside the shark."

While the literal reading is "a canine at elevated temperature", the
context of eating and the punning on "mustard", "roll", "sausage" etc.
make it clear that the phrase alludes to "hot dogs" as we understand
them.

Compared to other non-college cites, I think this is third in order
after:

>1896 _Wash. Post_ 13 Feb. 6  One thousand Sioux warriors met at Pine
>Ridge and over a large number of cold bottles and hot dogs discussed
their
>alleged grievances.

and:

> From the Ogden _Standard Examiner_ Feb 28 1896 , p. 2/5.
> It would also make very "hot dog".
[both from the ADS-L archives].

Both of the above are somewhat ambiguous.  This new cite strikes me as
exceptionally clear, compared to them.