pep talk (1913)

Thu Sep 15 07:41:42 UTC 2005

Latest batch of OED entries has "pep talk" from 1918.

1913 _Colorado Springs Gazette_ 19 Apr. 5/1 This rally was featured by a
short "pep" talk, delivered by Prof. Frederick Bair, director of athletics
at the institution, in preparation for the baseball game with Cutler
academy this afternoon.

1913 _Coe College Cosmos_ (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) 22 Sep. 3/2 When the
fellows had gathered a series of pep talks was given in behalf of the
different activities in college in which the student body should be
interested. Roberts gave a short pep talk as president of the Y.M.C.A. and
showed the fellows how pep was absolutely essential for a good practical
religion such as we have in our schools today.

--Ben Zimmer