Bush Inaugural Malapropism

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 15 09:31:19 UTC 2005

I mentioned here a few months ago that Bush often refers to himself as "the President":  Ex, "As the President, I believe that..."

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
 CNN and FDCH also have a
more trivial error, his inserting the word "the" before "president." I
have not attempted to study audio of the oath to verify the truth of the
wording, but am curious about whether this alleged discrepancy has been
noticed before.

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com