"hamburg" = hamburger (was electric = "electric power")

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Sep 15 19:22:14 UTC 2005

I grew up hearing it and find it a bit strange, too!  Actually, I think of
it as nonstandard, as something my working-class relatives would
use but not my teachers, for example.

I once had to mediate a dispute between two friends, one (an auto
mechanic from northern CT) who used the word unselfconsciously
and the other (from an educated family in the Chicago area) who
claimed that it wasn't a word.  Of course, I had to explain to the
latter friend that it WAS indeed a word, and in fact a non-
stigmatized one (in the M-W Collegiate, anyway).

I see from DARE that the use of the word has been recorded
throughout New England and the Mid-Atlantic, as well as in Ohio
and Michigan.

Joanne