Wreck havoc

Fri Sep 16 18:03:05 UTC 2005

And aren't the words historically related anyhow?  Wreak is from OE
wrecan, (short e at that time), and I think the verb wreck comes from
either a version of the same root (with the same reshortening you get in
things like sick from OE se'oc (e' = long close /e/)) or a related noun
wraec or wrec.  I bet you there are British dialects around that have
wreck for wreak (in so much as it's used outside of "to wreak havoc")
but I wouldn't know where.

Paul Johnston