New Yawk and N'Orleans

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Sat Sep 17 00:20:47 UTC 2005

Jonathan Lighterwrote:

>Surely a Yankee invasion, at whatever moment in history, could only have
>nudged tendencies that were (coincidentally ?) strong already.

Writing, as usual, in nearly complete ignorance of the actual
circumstances, I am as usual moved to argue that there might well be
circumstances where a 'Yankee invasion' might have done more than merely
nudging 'tendencies that were (coincidentally ?) strong already.'

Experience has taught me that it's a mistake to underestimate the potential
for a even just a few Yankees to wreak/wreck/reek havoc upon an innocent
population, anywhere on the planet, or within the orbit of Saturn.   Ooops,
Voyager spacecraft are leaving (our limited understanding of) the 'solar
system', so make that 'within the vicinity of the star which illuminates
our space.'

Can't we imagine a number of circumstances where a few gringos grasp at
linguistic immortality?  Or are we continuing (metaphorically) to insist
that 'no one imagined' that the linguistic dikes could be overwhelmed?

That said, I withdraw to my position of head-in-the-sand ignorance, and
await the empiricist who would boldly demonstrate that linguistic dikes are
permeable...

Michael McKernan