ADS-L Digest - 18 Sep 2005 to 19 Sep 2005 (#2005-263)

Geoff Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Sep 20 20:19:42 UTC 2005

At 12:01 AM 9/20/2005, James Landau wrote:
> >> Driving Tips for our 2006 Superbowl  Guests:

[snip]

> >> 4. If you actually stop at a  yellow light, you will be rear-ended,
> >> cussed  out and possibly  shot. If you're first off the starting line when
>the
> >> light turns  green, count to five before going. This will avoid getting in
> >>  the  way of cross-traffic who just ran their yellow light to keep  from
> >> getting shot.

This is absolutely true--for example, someone behind me swerved into the
oncoming lane three days ago in order to miss me as I stopped at a yellow
light, and damn near hit someone in the oncoming lane attempting to
complete a left turn.

> >> 5. Schoenherr can ONLY be  properly pronounced by a native of the  Detroit
> >> metro area.  That goes for Gratiot too.

[Sein at r], and [graeS at t] ('Shayner' and 'Grashut' in pseudo-phonetics)

> >> 6. Construction and  renovation on I-94,I-96, I-75, I-275, I-375, The
> >> Lodge and The  Southfield Freeways are a way of life. Just deal with  it.
> >>
> >> 7. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it  is probably a factory
> >> defect or they are  "out-of-towners."

Actually, turn signals are very expensive options in Detroit, so most
drivers can't afford to get them installed on their cars.

> >> 16. If someone tells you it's on Outer Drive,  you better hope you have  a
> >> map.
> >>
> >> 17.  The left turn is simple. If you want to turn left, go a 1/4 of
> a  mile
> >> past your turn, get to the left, then make a left, then make a  right.
> >> NOW you have gone left.

And, on a serious note, this kind of turn is referred to as a 'Michigan
Left'.  I believe the term is unique to MI, but I don't have the time this
afternoon to do the research.  I just read a claim in the Free Press that
the institution was invented in Michigan in the fifties in response to some
bad fatalities after ordinary left turns.

Geoff
Geoffrey S. Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu>
Faculty Liaison, Computing and Information Technology
Associate Professor, Department of English
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI, 48202

C&IT Phone:  +313 577-1259
English Phone:  +313 577-8621