ADS-L Digest - 18 Sep 2005 to 19 Sep 2005 (#2005-263)

Wed Sep 21 06:45:18 UTC 2005

>I'm told that this turn originated in New Jersey (no authority given),
>where it is called a 'jug handle turn'
I thought a "jug handle turn" was where, if you wanted to turn left, you first
got into the rightmost lane, and then exited into a small-radius pull-off
that directed you directly leftward to your original direction, usually
with a traffic light or other signal.  This way, you crossed at a right angle
to your original direction of travel, and once across your lane(s), you could
proceed straight ahead (making what would have been a left turn), or could
turn left from there (making what would have been a U-turn).

I've seen these in Massachusetts, and maybe NJ.