verb eponyms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 21 13:33:13 UTC 2005

At 6:00 AM -0700 9/21/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I heard this once around 1995 as "give her the Heisman."  It must
>have been before I reached the coffee machine because my brain could
>not even begin to figure out what about the Heisman Trophy would
>have lent it to this application.
>
>So I forgot about it.
>
>Early cites of any of these Heisman slang forms would be welcomed.
>
>JL

I wonder if the famous incident(s?) in which Desmond Howard, wide
receiver at the U. of Michigan, struck the Heisman pose after scoring
a touchdown to promote his own candidacy for the award--together with
the fact that he did in fact win it, in 1991--contributed to raising
the profile of that pose for lexical as well as commercial purposes.

larry