"stuck on stupid"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 21 22:24:46 UTC 2005

Lest history forget this other tidbit of usage, when LTG Honore' was interviewed (at a distance)by Fox, CNN, and (I believe) MSNBC, he followed every answer with the word "Over."

JL

"Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mullins, Bill"
Subject: "stuck on stupid"

Lt. Gen Russell Honore recently told some reporters not to get "stuck
on stupid", a phrase which is growing through the blogosphere and
elsewhere. Look for it to show up more. This is classic Honore --
direct and to the point.

The earliest I find it in ProQuest is in a 1996 headline from the
Michigan Chronicle (an African American newspaper). Most of the other
cites are also from Black sources (Chicago Defender, Afro-American Red
Star, etc.). This white boy never heard the phrase until this week --
is it used regularly in AAVE?