ADS-L Digest - 18 Sep 2005 to 19 Sep 2005 (#2005-263)

Thu Sep 22 13:30:21 UTC 2005

I've never seen an example of the first-described
jug-handle turn, but I can visualize how it would
function, although IMO not as well as the one I
described because it still requires a left turn.

To complicate matters, Utah DOT is contemplating what
they call a "continuous flow intersection", which - if
I understand the description in the SLTribune - moves
the left-turning traffic across the oncoming lanes
before the intersection, into a storage lane on the
far-left side of the roadway, to the left of oncoming
traffic.  Sounds like an invitation to catastrophe to
me, but I'm no traffic engineer.  Anyone familiar with
this type of left-turn arrangement?