the fit hit the Shan (was: Re: Tiger Woods)

Thu Sep 22 15:01:46 UTC 2005

(waiting for an upload to complete and scanning old posts...)

Wilson writ:

Back in the olden days, ca.1955, there was a version that ended, "...
when the fit hit the Shan." I've forgotten the set-up/lead-in, or
whatever term it is that I'm searching for here.

<<<<<

And Roger Zelazny, in his novel _Lord of Light_, has an entire scene that is
part of the plot but which is also a setup to this line. A real groaner,
esp. once you realize how you've been set up and how long he's strung you
along.

He did much the same thing in one of the Amber novels (first pentalogy) with
"There once was a hermit named Dave...".

This may have already been covered; see first line.

m a m