left right stuff

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Thu Sep 22 15:23:50 UTC 2005

Ben Zimmer said:

> And here are typical New Jersey double-jughandle intersections...
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.468841,-74.860969&spn=0.003792,0.007135&t=h
> http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.992353,-75.027620&spn=0.003818,0.007135&t=h

===========================

Here are some descriptions of a Michigan Left from people who would presumably
know.  They seem to include both the phenomena that have been discussed:  the
one that's aka a jug-handle, no U-turn involved, and the one that *does*
involve a U-turn.  Without a U-turn:

http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/michigan_left2.html

With one:

http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/michigan_left.html

I think that, as Bethany said before, there was a mistake in our original
description of a Michigan Left, where one direction was actually substituted
for the other.  It's also true that, as Mark Mandel said, no U-turn was
mentioned in that first description, but you needed one in order to end up
going in the correct (not right) direction.

Where's dInIs when you need him?

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania