"Strew" rhymes w/"sew" redux

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 22 20:24:09 UTC 2005

Some may remember a brief discussion re the pronunciation of "strew"
so that the vowel rhymes with that of "sew," hence "str[o]w str[o]wed
str[o]wn" like "sew sewed sewn." AFAIC  recall, no one else had ever
heard this pronunciation. Even I am familiar with it only because this
pronunciation is the one used in my family.

Today, I heard Judge Greg Mathis ask whether garbage was "str[o]wn"
about. Judge Mathis is a native of Detroit. Hence the following WAG:
the strew-rhymes-with-sew feature
is peculiar to (some subdialect(s) of) of BE.
--
-Wilson Gray