left right stuff

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 23 03:04:35 UTC 2005

At 9/22/2005 11:32 AM, you wrote:
>The one the link should have shown was at the intersection of Bedford
>Rd. (Rte 224/4), which runs NW/SE, and
>Hartwell Rd., which tees into Bedford Rd from the SW to the NE, all just
>SE of Lexington, MA.  The jug handle was for travelers heading NW on
>Bedford and wanting to go SW on Hartwell

Yes I know this too (it is actually NW of the center of Lexington, not SE).

I have finally realized that I myself have called both types of turns
"jug handles", when to me only one is -- pull off to the right before
the intersection, bear left to proceed at right angles to the
original direction, and cross the intersection.  The Bedford
Rd./Hartwell Rd. and Route 9 intersections are of this type.  The
example I gave of Rte 2/Bedford Rd. is of the other type -- proceed
past the intersection and make a 270 degree right turn -- is not, and
I would call it a clover-leaf exit.

Joel