"teh" + adj./v.

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Fri Sep 23 05:30:40 UTC 2005

Mullins, Bill wrote:

>Help me out here, I am non-leet. (In fact, I am anti-leet, just as =
>Michael J. Fox is the anti-Elvis).

I don't master the l33t idiom either, but as it happens, I have the
original writers on another line, so these are verified answers:

>>ie is teh sux0r
>>

>"sux0r" = sucker??  That is to say, IE sucks?

Yes. x=k; 0=o. And invective against MS Internet Explorer is common, or
rather hard to avoid for anyone who has hand-coded more than one web page.

>>btw, yeah. half-asian chicks are teh h4wt
>>

>"h4wt" = hot?

Yes. Cot/caught merged. Also: "hawt".

>>it'll be teh pwn
>>

>"pwn"  ???  (my best guess is "poon", as in "poontang" . . .)

"pwn" is an intentional misspelling of "own" (p being next to o on about
every keyboard). "Owned" is also a common hacker message, left on the
hacked site instead of its regular content.

So "it'll be teh pwn" is a synonym for "it'll rock" or "it'll be the
greatest".

>Firas pwnz0red teh regex!1
>"pwnz0red" = ???

I'd call it a jocular play on "pwned".
Firas's (his real first name) commentary: "i usually use that
ironically". Which fits with my assessment as slightly self-conscious:
Firas announced that he had (finally) managed to get the regular
expression right. The "1" at the end is again an intentionally mistyped
exclamation mark.

HTH,

Chris Waigl