shotgun shack, shotgun house, railroad flat, etc

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 17:57:32 UTC 2005

The type of building that I know as a "shotgun shack" isn't nearly as
fancy as some of dwellings described here. As a kid in Texas, I lived
across the street - a dirt road, actually, consisting of what was
locally known as "red clay-doit" when it was dry and as "gumbo mud"
when it was wet - from two shotgun shacks. These each consisted of a
front porch, a front door, a front room, a bedroom, a kitchen, and a
back door, one behind the other, period. They were built of wood, set
on wooden pilings and had the legendary hot tin roofs/rooves. The two
houses shared a privy situated in the backyard between the the two
shacks. Each was about as wide as a double-wide "mobile home."

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray