Fwd: cubic gallons

Mon Sep 26 19:35:39 UTC 2005

--- Barnhart <barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM> wrote:

> From my canoe-racing days, I recall that the NYC
> Water Supply used
> gallons/minute (or was it second) to calculate the
> volume of water
> released into the Esopus River.
>
> David Barnhart (out-of-shape river runner)

Cubic feet per second (cfs)and gallons per minute
(gpm)are both common measures of water flow in the
USA.

This reply from a collegue, an engineer and former
river guide, re. my query to him on cubic gallons etc.

"I recall once trying to convince a whole class of
adult students that feet per second was velocity of a
river while cubic feet per second was volume of a
river.  I was outvoted and therefore was wrong.  The
public and democracy prevails in spite of science.
This is America."