Early (1873) link between Hot Dog and Sausage

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 26 20:04:01 UTC 2005

When I was in the Army in 1961, a white buddy tried to persuade me
that the proper form was "scoff," presumably based on "Escoffier," and
not "scarf." He failed to convince me of the validity of his argument,
since it was the case that the normal pronunciation used by black GI's
was "scoff" and any fool could plainly see that this "scoff" was
merely the BE pronunciation of "scarf" and had nothing to do with
Escoffier or whatever.

FWIW, I have now come, over the ensuing years, to accept said buddy's
argument and I  believe that "scoff" is the original form and that
"scarf" is a hypercorrection.

-Wilson

--
-Wilson Gray