To unscrew the inscrutable

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 27 19:01:35 UTC 2005

It was nigh onto thirty years ago, young'uns, I was reading a nineteenth-century jokebook and came across the more or less unforgettable phrase, "I will unscrew the inscrutable and explicate the inexplicable."

Or maybe it was "fathom the unfathomable and unscrew the inscrutable."

Anyway, the phrase was more or less unforgettable, but the title of the book disappeared from memory quicker'n a snowball in the nether regions, as the man says.  But a Google search reveals that people are still tryin' to "unscrew the inscrutable," or the "unscrutable," or even the "unscrewtable," as the case may be. If memory don't fail me, the context was a parody of a preacher's sermon, or maybe a phrenologist feller or some such.

Now, I don't expect young Ben or Bill or to fish up that same 19th C. quote I'm a-talkin' 'bout, but I betcha they could come up with somethin' from the same period or earlier, if you take my meanin'.

By cracky.

JL