cubic VVV

Tue Sep 27 21:57:08 UTC 2005

No, actually a liter is the volume of exactly 1 kg of
pure water at 3.98 °C and under a pressure of 1 atm.
It is also exactly ten deciliters.  However, because
of a measurement error early in the merification
process, 1 liter equals 1.000027 cubic decimeters.
Within the limits of accuracy for most real-world
measurements, the difference is negligible.

Accurate current reference works give 1 liter =
1.000027 cubic decimeter = 1000.027 cubic centimeters
and 1 milliliter = 1.000027 cubic centimeter.

As I understand - but I may be mislead on this part of
the tale - in the original metric scheme there was no
liter, the cubic centimeter was the standard of volume
 and the liter came to be because of this measurement
error.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conf%C3%A9rence_G%C3%A9n%C3%A9rale_des_Poids_et_Mesures>