LINGUIST cross-post: Origin of Pot 'Cannabis'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 28 00:38:00 UTC 2005

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: LINGUIST cross-post: Origin of Pot 'Cannabis'

Looks like this should be up someone's alley; I can't check on what
HDAS says for alphabetic reasons. The OED does give "potiguaya" as
the source, as claimed, although "influenced" by the main entry for
_pot_. I would think alternate sources (as it were) for "pot" as
well as additional info on "potiguaya" would be welcome.

As usual, replies should go to the poster, Mr. Wheeler, as well as to the list.

Larry
--- begin forwarded text

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2785. Tue Sep 27 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.