Amicicide

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Sep 28 02:07:15 UTC 2005

>>My preference has the advantage of sounding enough like "amicable"
>>to help explain the meaning.
>
>One problem would be the velar softening suggested by the spelling
>"amicicide".  The above pronunciation would be fine for "amicacide"
>or "amicocide", but I think "amicicide" would have to be something
>like "uh MEE suh side", which seems rather opaque and not
>particularly evocative of "amicable".

By analogy with other "-cide" words, I would expect second-syllable stress.

The "-ci-" is a problem as Larry says. My first thought on seeing the word
was "a-MEE-suh-side".

However, MW3 does show "molluscicide" and "piscicide", both with _optional_
"k" sound for the "c".

I don't like it much either way. Whoever invented this word should have
consulted with me first! (^_^)

-- Doug Wilson