Early Citations for "Cool"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 29 04:14:33 UTC 2005

Ben, WRT "... the peculiar cleft construction 'what make it so cool'
...," what makes this construction so "peculiar" to you? I've used it
and its congeners just about since I've been able to speak what I
thought was English. Yet, somehow, the peculiarity of it has escaped
my notice over all these years. Apparently, my command of prescriptive
English is far less than I've flattered myself that it is. And I
seriously doubt that Hurston "favored" this construction. Rather, she
merely wrote what she heard in her day and which I continue to hear
and use in my day. I simply can not see anything about this
construction that would make it sound "peculiar" to a speaker of any
other dialect of English. OTH, I was shocked back in 1960 to discover
that no other person in my company of approximately 400 GI's, 99.44%
white, at the old Army Language School, had ever heard the expression
"fuck over
[someone] (not to be confused with the far later "fuck [someone]
over." Now, that's aa peculiar construction!

BTW, where did you learn your (native?) dialect of English?

-Wilson

--
-Wilson Gray