El Lay

Bill Lemay blemay0 at MCHSI.COM
Fri Sep 30 15:06:38 UTC 2005

> That was Larry Niven, in a story called "Intent to Deceive": "So I took
> him to lunch at the Herr Ober, which was a few blocks from the old Police
> Headquarters Building. Herr Ober was the first all-automated restaurant in
> Ellay. The only human beings involved were the maintenance crew, and they
> only showed up once a week."
>
> Michael Quinion
> Editor, World Wide Words

I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere else. I've read a lot of Niven, but not
that story. I was thinking it was in "Stand on Zanzibar" by John Brunner.
Googling a bit I found that Brunner also wrote a poem called "Ellay and N
Virons" in "Trip: A Sequence of Poems Through the U.S.A."  Somewhere at home I
have a copy of "Stand on Zanzibar".

Bill Le May